Sunday 24 March 2013

Thornycroft J Class Lorry - Part 1

I mentioned elsewhere about a desire to create a train of Thornycroft J Class lorries in wartime livery  (photo below).



To my knowledge this vehicle is not available from the trade in 2mm scale. The closest kit is the Gem Fleetline Daimler flatbed lorry from 1911. I dare say this could be bashed to get a bit closer to the J style. If  I only wanted one that would be my choice but at £6 a hit a train of them becomes expensive.

I have some success in modelling in FIMO clay, not vehicles but people. So, this is the medium I'll try. At this stage I have no idea if it is achievable. This may be the first or last posting on this subject.

The above photo was taken at Milestones museum of Basingstoke, which has a display of Thornycroft vehicles and more importantly a workshop manual that shows a dimensioned drawing of the J class chassis assembly.

Firstly, I modelled the distinctive wheels, which have some challenging profiles to create in parts that are only 6-7mm diameter!

Here are the finished items for one side of the vehicle awaiting firing in the domestic cooker. (FIMO clay is a man made material that is manipulated like plasticine and then made hard by heating in an oven). On the left is the smaller front wheel and on the right dual rear wheels. The dress making pins serve as wheel hub and axle. Whilst I was able to mimic the bulge and vent holes on the larger rear wheel for the front wheel it proved a step too far.


Believe it or not the rear wheel is made from 5 parts and 3 for the front. Below is a photo of items from around the home that were brought into service as tools to make the parts. I'll not go into detail on how and what parts they made, unless you want to know. I just thought it would be of interest to see the extent of objects used to make what might be considered a simple component.

To Part 2.


David

.


No comments:

Post a Comment